When Huawei announced that it will introduce the fingerprint sensor, everybody was so excited. Things moved on and Huawei P10 and P10 Plus users now get to enjoy the fingerprint sensor, only that it doesn’t always work as it should. As parts of the sensor stop working and authentication becomes a pain, or you cannot really enable or disable the sensor as easy as you should, you have all the reasons to be annoyed by it.
If your Huawei P10 and P10 Plus fingerprint sensor isn’t working, you might need some help. Read on and find out how to better handle this feature.
Why and how to use the Fingerprint sensor
This sensor acts as an authentication method. You can use it not just to unlock your smartphone, but also to access different web pages where you would normally have to sign in or to confirm an action with your Huawei account. Thanks to this feature, you can forget about having to type in passwords on your Huawei P10 and P10 Plus, no matter what you’re trying to do.
As far as it concerns the instructions for turning it On or Off, here they are:
- Turn on the device;
- Go to Settings;
- Tap on Lock screen and security;
- Tap on Screen lock type;
- Select Fingerprints;
- Follow the steps for configuring your fingerprint scanner.
Once you have established the first fingerprint, you can always come back and add new fingerprints or remove the old entries.
How to configure the Fingerprint sensor
Despite the fact that it looks like a complicated, fancy technology, the fingerprint sensor of your Huawei P10 and P10 Plus is surprisingly simple and convenient to use. The built-in technology comes with step-by-step instructions and it only implies to:
- Access the Lock screen and Security menu under the general Settings;
- Tap on Fingerprint;
- Tap on the Add fingerprint option;
- Follow those step-by-step instructions until your fingerprint will get completely scanned;
- Configure your backup password as an alternative to any time when Huawei P10 and P10 Plus Fingerprint sensor won’t work;
- Tap on OK to confirm that you want to enable the Fingerprint Lock;
- Leave the menus and test your new unlock option.
How to turn off the Fingerprint sensor
Whatever your reasons may be, you can disable the Fingerprint sensor just as easy as you enabled it. The truth is that the Huawei P10 and P10 Plus Touch ID feature is not necessarily something that everybody enjoys or appreciates, despite its resemblance with the Apple iPhone Touch ID. If you’re not interested in using the Fingerprint sensor as a password, you can turn it off with the following steps:
- Access the general Settings from the main Menu;
- Go to Lock screen and security;
- Tap on Screen Lock Type;
- Turn off the Fingerprint sensor and confirm by using the fingerprint authentication;
- Adjust the unlock screen security with one of the remaining options: swipe, password, pin, pattern;
- Or you can settle for not having an unlock screen security measure at all.
All these considered, you have all the information to enable or disable Huawei P10 and P10 Plus Fingerprint sensor whenever you want. If you haven’t tried it so far, you might want to have a look. You can never tell if it’s worth the effort unless you’re testing it yourself.