Have you recently bumped into the Mobile Hotspot feature listed on your iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 settings? If you don’t know what that is, suffices to keep in mind that it allows you to give internet to other devices. In other words, when you activate this feature and turn the iPhone into a hotspot, you are using the mobile data and share it with other devices that connect to it.
You might want to take this option into account whenever you need the internet on a different device than the smartphone and you’re in a public place. If the Wi-Fi connections that you have at hand aren’t exactly reliable, the mobile hotspot will be. And do not worry, it works by very specific rules, which will protect you from unauthorized access. You will share the internet only with the devices that you want and only for as long as you want!
If we’ve won your attention and you’re curious for the extra details, start from the premise that you must have the battery fully charged when using the hotspot. Moreover, you must also activate the mobile hotspot feature in order to use it and to adjust the security password. Assuming that you’re quite familiarized with the first condition, let us focus on the other two.
To turn on the iPhone 8 / iPhone 8 Plus Mobile Hotspot feature…
- Go to Settings;
- Select the Mobile option;
- Select the Personal Hotspot feature listed in there;
- Identify the Personal Hotspot toggle and switch it to On;
- Hit the Turn On Wi-Fi and Bluetooth option as well;
- Select the Wi-Fi password entry and type a custom password;
- See what name you have listed for the hotspot under the option To Connect Using Wi-Fi – that will be the name that all the other devices will have to look for when trying to connect to your mobile Hotspot;
- Then, go to the Mac or to any other device that should take internet from your iPhone and access the AirPort feature from its menus;
- Select the Wi-Fi hotspot;
- Type the password that you have set for your mobile hotspot, when prompted.
After following all of the above steps, your iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus should start giving internet access, wirelessly, to the device that you have just connected. If you can’t seem to activate the Mobile Hotspot feature on your iPhone no matter what you do, maybe your data plan doesn’t come with this option! Discuss the alternatives with your wireless carrier and see what you need to do to make a change in this direction.
Now, the last thing we should mention relates to changing the password and the security type. It’s super simple but it shouldn’t be ignored! Go back to Settings and, under the Personal Hotspot feature, tap the Wi-Fi password option. Make the adjustments and now you can consider yourself ready to use the iPhone 8 as a mobile hotspot without exception!