If you’ve had enough of all the preinstalled ringtones of the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus or you just feel that nothing represents you, the thought of getting free music downloads might be tempting. You know that, with some adjustments, any song stored on the iPhone can be used as a base for custom ringtones so, here’s your alternative to taking music from the iTunes.
If you have your song on the device, waiting to be used, here’s how to get free music downloads for the iPhone 8 and set it as ringtone:
- Go to the iTunes and run an update of the app, to have the newest software version at your disposal;
- Browse for and select the song that will serve as ringtone – prepare yourself to choose your favorite 30 seconds from it;
- Access the menu with right-click or with ctrl-click and select Get Info;
- Set the start and stop times for your soon-to-be ringtone;
- Return to the menu and, this time, select Create AAC Version;
- Copy your new file and remove the initial version;
- Change the extension of the file – it now has a .m4a which must be replaced with .m4r;
- Finally, add the edited version to iTunes and sync the iPhone.
Now that you have the free music in place, you should launch the Settings app and go to Sounds, to select it from the Ringtone menu. Tap on that song and save the changes. You can now consider that you have set a new, custom ringtone for one of your contacts.
But that’s just the starting point, right? Because unless you do otherwise, all your other contacts will be stuck with the same plain, boring default ringtone. So, you will certainly have to repeat these steps and create a series of other new songs ready to be used as ringtones. Nobody is asking you to change the ringtones of the hundreds of contacts from the agenda of your iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus. But you probably have more than one special person on that list and those special persons deserve the effort of getting a customized ringtone.