We can all have second thoughts at some point but when it comes to communicating with others, blocking a contact’s number doesn’t have to be the only option. When you own an Apple iPhone 8 or even an Apple iPhone 8 Plus and you’re connected to various group text chats, you might want to consider leaving the chat, first.
The feature of group text messages is highly appreciated for the ease of communication within a group but this also means that you might have to assist, occasionally, to discussions that do not necessarily concern you. Between staying and leaving a group text, you also have the option to mute that particular group chat. And as you are about to discover, in some instances, muting the group is the only option that the iMessage will be offering you. Coming up next, you will receive all the answers.
How to exit a group text from your iPhone 8 Messages
First of all, bear in mind that leaving a group text chat is a permanent action. When you decide to proceed with it, you should expect to never again have access to that group and its conversation threads. Second of all, the action is only possible within groups that consist of iMessage members alone!
If the group that you are trying to leave also has SMS users, you will not be able to permanently exit the group chat messages, but only to mute the group and forget about it. To check your options and exit the group:
- Launch the group message on your iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus;
- Select the Details menu from the top-right corner;
- Look for the Leave this Conversation option that should be listed in the nearby of the Attachments section;
- If the option is written in red and you can tap on it, you will officially exit that group text message;
- If the option is grayed out and you cannot select it, it means you’re in a mixed group of iMessage and SMS users and you cannot leave it.
How to mute a group chat on your iPhone 8 Messages
Whether you cannot or you do not want to exit a group for good, using the Do Not Disturb feature to mute it will be just as effective. If you think of it, this is the perfect compromise: you no longer get to receive notifications as people continue to chat within the group that you’re still a part of… but you can always check what’s going on in there and stay up to date if you really want. Here is how to do it:
- Launch the Messages app;
- Tap on the message group chat that you want to mute;
- Tap on Details;
- Select the Do Not Disturb option listed towards the bottom of that list;
- Hit the dedicated button to officially turn on the Do Not Disturb feature.
That’s all. You have muted the group chat message, something that you can do on mixed or single groups of iMessage-only users. When you mute a group chat on an Apple iPhone 8 or Apple iPhone 8 Plus Messages app, it is almost just as if you have left that group for good, but only better! No more annoying notifications with the permanent option of checking up on what you’ve missed!