Despite functioning in parallel with the traditional text messaging service, iMessage is the preferred choice of most Apple iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus users. And most of the time, it should work like charm, from the moment you activate it. But the activation is the stage that determines your start. If it works just like it’s supposed to, you’ll be the happiest iMessage user. If you’re unfortunate enough to have an iMessage activation problem, however, getting through with it might not be that simple.
Everywhere online there are tons of indications on what to do when the iMessage on your iPhone is waiting for activation. But many of them just don’t work and people keep asking us what else they can do. Below, we will show you how to handle this problem, with specific options that we have tested.
Before we begin, we should mention that there are also instances when the iMessage waiting for activation problem doesn’t necessarily have to do with the iMessage itself. So, you will have to start checking up some things first:
- Your device phone number;
- The Date & Time settings of the iPhone;
- If your Wi-Fi network really is working OK;
- Any potential limitations from the wireless carrier.
- Starting from the phone number of your iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus, it must actually be manually introduced, if you haven’t done it so far. Go to the Phone menu in the Settings app and, under the My Number field, see what you have. If there’s nothing in there, tap on it and type your phone number.
- Moving on to the Date & Time, this is a problem common with PCs. You know that things can go wrong, especially with surfing the web and your antivirus, when Date & Time are not correct, right? Turns out that, with an iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus, if date and time are not well set, you can have this iMessage activation problem. To make sure you leave no room for this option, activate the Set Automatically option. The device will get its data according to the Time Zone indicated by the location service.
- The Wi-Fi network can be easily suspected if you are having other navigation problem as well. If you don’t, you can still check it by either trying to connect to a different Wi-Fi or even trying to activate iMessage with your mobile data.
- Last but not least, the culprit could relate to some kind of limitation from your carrier. iMessage blocks or particular filters for the text messages may or may not inflict, but you can’t tell for sure unless you contact their customer support for extra details.
When you can certainly rule out all of the 4 causes above listed, move on to the 3 solutions detailed below:
Try a sort of refresh: sign out of the Apple ID and sign back in
- Start from the Settings app, at the Message section;
- Surf through those options until you find and select the Send & Receive feature;
- Identify your Apple ID listed in there;
- Select it and use the Sign Out option;
- Next, deactivate the iMessage service by switching it off;
- Wait a few minutes, during which time you can also turn off and then back on the Wi-Fi one more time;
- Then, reactivate the iMessage by changing its status to on;
- Retype your Apple ID details and see if you can reactivate the iMessage.
Try a sort of refresh for the Airplane Mode: turn it on and then back off
- Go to Settings and Messages;
- Turn off the iMessage feature in there;
- Also important, disable the FaceTime service;
- Turn on the Airplane mode – as you know, this will automatically disable many features, the Wi-Fi included;
- Next, go and turn back on the Wi-Fi, manually;
- Go to the Messages section and reactivate the iMessage as well;
- Use your Apple ID if you’re required;
- Return to the general Settings and turn off the Airplane mode;
- When you see the message saying you might be charged for SMS by your carrier, simply confirm from the OK button;
- Alternatively, you could just turn to Messages and switch the iMessage to Off and then back to On.
Finally, perform a reset or a restore of the iPhone 8
If you still couldn’t activate the iMessage, you don’t have to give up on it. Find out how to reset or restart the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus. Take these steps and, most likely, it will work out well. That’s because this process of fixing the iMessage waiting for activation will imply resetting the location settings and then the device itself. When you try to activate the iMessage afterward, it’s as if you’re starting from scratch, with an iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus that you just brought home from the store!