Group chats are a great way to communicate when you have common friends and interests. But even so, not all the discussions within a group will be relevant for all the users, every single time. Even when they are, at some point, you might feel the need to stop getting notifications from the group or to leave the group for good.
In today’s article, we’d like to show you how to perform any of the options mentioned above. If you’re using an Apple iPhone or iPad in iOS 10.3 and planning to tone down a particular group chat, you can:
- Mute a group chat by using the Do Not Disturb option – a feature available for all kinds of groups, iMessage-only, SMS-only or mixed groups (iMessage and SMS);
- Leave the group chat forever – the action is irreversible and it can be performed exclusively on iMessage-only groups.
How to mute a group chat with Do Not Disturb
As previously mentioned, once you leave a group chat, you will never be able to get back to it. So, if you are not sure yet that this is the best call, but you would still like a pause from this group, you can use the Do Not Disturb feature and mute the group for a while. This means that your mobile number or Apple ID will remain a part of that conversation and you will always be able to get back to receiving messages in there.
To activate the Do Not Disturb feature:
- Go to Messages and tap on the message you would like to mute;
- Select the Details icon and you will see a list with several options;
- Tap on Do Not Disturb and use the button associated to it to turn the feature On.
Once this feature was activated, you shouldn’t receive any sounds, vibration, or alerts from the Notification Center anymore. Feel free to turn it Off when you’re ready and notifications will start pouring in all over again.
How to leave a group chat in Messages from iPhone/iPhone Plus/iPad iOS 10.3
To leave a group for good and never be able to become its member once again, follow these steps:
- Open the group message;
- Go at the top-right corner and select Details;
- On the list of chat participants, summary of attached files, and location settings look for a button with red font labeled as Leave this Conversation;
- Tap on it and you will be removed from the group chat.
If you don’t see this button at all or if you see it but it is grayed out and inactive, it means that this is a mixed group with users from iMessage and SMS. Since you cannot leave such mixed group chats on iPhone and iPad in iOS 10.3, your only option is to simply mute that group.
If you’ve seen the button and used it, you are officially out of that group. You will never again receive notifications from it and you will never be able to join back on it.