Have you ever wondered why is your iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus making that click sound whenever you tap one of the virtual keyboard’s keys? Sure, this isn’t the only situation when your iPhone starts making more or less annoying sounds. But it is certainly one of the most commonly encountered. You have a keyboard to use whenever you want to send text messages, emails, to post something on a social network, to write a note in your calendar, to search something over the web and so on.
If every single letter that you type must generate a clicking sound… Well, this is a problem from at least two different perspectives:
- The most important of them all is your perspective – it can be very frustrating for you and that’s something we are sure you can hardly tolerate.
- The second next important perspective, however, relates to the people who surround you. At school, at work or in a public but quiet space, your iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus keyboard sounds may be the last thing that anyone would want to hear, right?
- Not to mention that there may be instances when you would simply want to type without drawing attention to you, period.
Before we answer your question, let us make the initial observation clear. The reason why your iPhone comes with these default keyboard sounds is somewhat intuitive – to help you type better and faster, without necessarily having to check every letter. Those who usually type fast know what we mean – at some point, hearing those taps and clicks will literally tell you that you’ve actually typed what you wanted and haven’t missed a letter.
Without a doubt, if you’re not at that level yet or if you just don’t need these sounds, you can make it stop as of this very moment. The temporary solution to turn off the iPhone 8 keyboard sounds is to mute the device. By simply using the Volume controller and switching from the normal running mode to mute, you’re guaranteed to hear no other keyboard sound. Of course, this one will only work as long as the device is on mute!
To permanently turn off the iPhone 8 / iPhone 8 Plus keyboard sounds:
- Unlock the device;
- Bring up the Settings app;
- Navigate to Sounds >> Keyboard clicks;
- Switch that flip from On to Off;
- Leave the menus and do a test typing.
No matter what app you launch after that and regardless of the ring mode that is now active, the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus will make no sound while you type. That’s the whole point of this permanent change which, by the way, is performed in the exact same way on any Apple device, no matter what iOS version you’re having!