The iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus touch screen not working problems can manifest in two different ways: you either cannot do anything on the display or you have occasional problems with the responsiveness of the screen, perhaps only in particular areas. Just because the touch screen isn’t working too well at the bottom part doesn’t mean you’re supposed to stick to using its upper area alone.
The problems could be caused by the inappropriate handling during the shipping, by who knows what previous excessive bumps, or even by certain software bugs. Avoiding the problematic areas without searching for a solution is certainly not a good idea!
Try to complete a factory reset of the device
- With the phone turned on, access the General menu from the Settings app;
- Find the Reset option listed in there and tap on it;
- Use your Apple ID and the password when prompted;
- Wait a few minutes for the iPhone 8 or the iPhone 8 Plus to factory reset;
- Once you’re back to the welcome screen, you will be required to swipe to continue and see if or how the touch screen works.
Try to remove the SIM card and see what happens afterward
By afterward we mean when you reinsert the SIM because you obviously need a SIM card to use your iPhone properly. Take it out, let it be like that for a few seconds or even minutes, but put it back in and see how the device performs. Is the touch screen still not working?
Try to clear the cache of the Apple iPhone 8 / iPhone 8 Plus
- This can be done starting from the Settings menu;
- Go to the General section;
- Tap on Storage & iCloud Usage;
- Access the Manage Store option;
- Select the Documents & Data entry;
- Decide what items you want to clear data for;
- Slide to the left each of the entries you want to remove and hit the Delete button OR simply use Edit >> Delete All to remove all the data without wasting any more time.
Finally, you should complete a hard reset
In case you don’t know, it is essential that we remind you this: performing a factory reset will result in removing all the data, the settings, and the apps that you now have on your smartphone. Before you start this irreversible process, take a few minutes to access the Backup & Reset menu from under the general Settings, to do a backup of all your data. Then, you can follow the steps suggested in this tutorial on how to hard reset an iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus:
- Tap and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button of your iPhone at the same time, for at least 10 seconds;
- When you notice something unusual happening on the device and you see that it starts back on, wait for it to return to the Home screen;
- Test and see if the touch screen is working – this time, the problem should be solved.
If you’re one of the very few iPhone 8 / iPhone 8 Plus users who didn’t have the chance to fix the touch screen problem with any of our options, you might want to check it with an Apple technician!