If you’re tired of hearing all these cool songs on all the other iPhone Xs, iPhone Xs Max, iPhone Xr, iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus users, stop being upset. You too can ditch the default ringtone, at least for the contacts you love talking with the most. In this article, we will show you how to download and set up individual, unique ringtones. Soon enough, you’ll know by heart who’s calling you, before you even see their names on the phone’s display!
Things you should know before you download ringtones for iPhone Xs, iPhone Xs Max, iPhone Xr, iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus:
- First of all, you can’t just grab a song from wherever and set it as a ringtone;
- Even when you select your favorite song within the iTunes app, you will still have to make some edits on it;
- Moreover, you don’t get to listen to the entire song when you’re being called – in fact, you only have 30 seconds from that media file that you can set up as a ringtone, which is yet another part of the editing process.
Now, what ringtone do you want to download for iPhone Xs, iPhone Xs Max, iPhone Xr, iPhone 8?
- Launch the iTunes and run a quick update, just so you have the newest version in place;
- Then, select that song;
- Access the editing options with a right-click or ctrl-click;
- Select Get Info;
- Create start and stop times (for the 30 seconds sequence!);
- Then, select Create AAC version (from the same menu you access with ctrl-click);
- Once the AAC version is ready, copy it and delete the old one;
- Change its extension to .m4r (replace the initial .m4a!);
- Add your new file to iTunes.
To set up the custom ringtone for a contact in iPhone Xs, iPhone Xs Max, iPhone Xr, iPhone 8 agenda:
- Go to the Settings app;
- Tap on Sounds;
- Select the Ringtone feature;
- Select the song you just created.
And from this moment on, whenever that contact will call you, you will get to hear your custom ringtone. Repeat these steps to download new ringtones on iPhone Xs, iPhone Xs Max, iPhone Xr, iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus and set them to other contacts. As you can see, there aren’t any limitations regarding what songs to use to personalize your iPhone, as long as you follow the required editing steps. Just remember that all those contacts that you don’t edit will keep the old default ringtone!