There’s something almost irresistible about using the group message chat on your iPhone or iPad in iOS 11/iOS 12… If you have created such a group and now you want to add a new Apple user to it, the instructions are extremely simple. It can all be handled within the Details section of that particular group message, where you have a specific option labeled as Add Contact.
Suffices to tap on the Add Contact button, select the contact that you want to add, and hit the Done button. You can do this for more than one person, by repeating these steps individually, or you can select all the contacts that you want to add at once.
It’s simple and straightforward, with the added benefits that:
- You can do this anytime, a few minutes or a few months after you have created the group iMessage;
- It spares you from having to create a separate message thread;
- It can help you when you want to discuss something in private about that person and only then add him or her – they won’t be able to see what you have texted earlier.
On the down side, adding someone to a group chat on Apple iOS 11/iOS 12 devices:
- Can be performed on group iMessage-only, not on mixed groups;
- Can only work with groups of minimum three persons, not on conversations started between two contacts where you want to add a third one;
- Can only show to the newly entered person the texts sent from that moment on, nothing from the previous conversation history.
Now you know what it takes to extend your group iMessage and you know you cannot add Android devices in the process. More information on how you can leave a group chat message on iPhone/iPad in iOS 11/iOS 12, from a mixed group or a group iMessage-only, is something we have already discussed.