The magnetometer, or the compass as it is most widely known, is a cool feature that your iPhone or iPad in iOS 11 can let you play with. Did you know that you have a built-in Compass app that, if you want, you can access and play with right away?
In case you have already discovered it, launched it, but were a bit disappointed with how it works, maybe you have skipped the calibration part? That’s right, you cannot really rely on what the Compass app shows you unless you have taken the time to properly calibrate it. So, don’t run to the Apple App Store to find a better Compass app, your built-in version is just as good if you follow these steps:
To calibrate the Compass on your iPhone or iPad in iOS 11:
- Go to the Settings app, where you usually make all the tweaks;
- Head to the Privacy section;
- In there, look for the Location Services option and select it;
- There’s your Compass feature listed, with a dedicated toggle currently set to On;
- Tap on the toggle to switch it from On to Off;
- Wait a couple of seconds and then tap once again.
After the Compass option went back to being active, you can start using it on your iPhone or iPad in iOS 11 without problems. This time, it will work smoothly!