As you probably know by now, your iPhone or iPad in iOS 11 or iOS 12 is giving you the option to change the default ringtone for your incoming calls. Now, if you can add a new song from a list of available ringtones, as selected by the developer, wouldn’t it be nice if you could go outside of that predefined zone? That’s right, we are talking about new, different ringtones from the ones you already have on your smartphone or tablet. And not just new ringtones, but also free songs that will let you create unique ringtones for the unique persons in your life, even for your alarm app if you want, all without having to pay a dime!
Let us show you what you have to do in order to get all that. Because choosing one song isn’t enough, you’ll have to walk through a series of extra steps like changing the file format and its extension, getting rid of the original file and making sure that you select the edited version as a ringtone.
Download your free ringtones for Apple iPhone/iPad in iOS 12 or iOS 11:
- First things first, bring the iTunes to the latest available version;
- Then, select your song, paying attention to the fact that the ringtone will isolate only a short, 30-second sequence out of that song;
- Use the right-click or the ctrl-click command to create the start and the stop times of your ringtone – when the drop-down list shows up, tap on Get Info;
- Use the right-click or the ctrl-click command again, this time to create the AAC version – when the drop-down list of options shows up, select Create AAC Version;
- Copy the AAC version;
- Delete the old, original song version;
- Change the extension of the file – make it .m4r. instead of .m4a;
- Add your new file to the iTunes library;
- Synchronize it with your iPhone in iOS 12 or iOS 11.
After preparing the song to set it as a ringtone, the one thing left is to make the association. In order to replace the current, default ringtone with your custom song:
- Go to Settings;
- Under Sounds, select Ringtone;
- Pick the edited song and leave the settings.
What you just did will work for an individual contact. So, even after going through the entire above, the rest of your agenda will still have the old ringtone. Repeat the steps for the next ringtone and the next lucky person in your contacts list. It will help you know when they are calling without having to take out the iPhone from the pocket.