LG smartphones were the first ones that introduced the Double Tap to Sleep and Double Tap to Wake commands. Samsung Galaxy users, just like the users of many other Android devices out there, have been talking a lot about it. Everybody was hoping that they will soon get to enjoy it and they have hoped in vain. Neither the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge, nor the more recent Samsung Galaxy S8 and Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus included this feature.
The Double Tap is, after all, about having a device that knows how to recognize tapping patterns and, whenever it notices a double tap sequence, to perform a particular action – like waking up the screen if it was turned off and the other way around (hence the Double Tap to Wake and the Double Tap to Sleep command names).
Samsung offered the alternative known as Always on Display. Something that, instead of helping you to lock or unlock the device more easily, will simply make you want to lock or unlock the device less often. If you already have clock details and other useful information always on the screen, while the device is locked, you wouldn’t normally have other reasons to handle the phone like you did before.
Are you unhappy with the Always on Display feature and still crave about using the Double Tap to Sleep and Double Tap to Wake commands on a Samsung Galaxy S8 or Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus? Prepare yourself to pay a small amount of money and gain access to the gesture commands of the Nova Launcher Prime. This third-party app will make it possible for you to enjoy these commands fairly easily.
Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Download the free version of the Nova Launcher app;
- Go here to get the paid version, Nova Launcher Prime, the one that also supports the gesture commands;
- With the Prime version installed, prepare to set it as the default launcher of your Galaxy S8/S8 Plus:
- Go to Settings;
- Select Application;
- Select Default Application;
- Tap on the Home Screen option;
- Browse through the list of available apps and select the Nova Launcher as your Default Launcher;
- Now activate the Double Tap option from the Gestures & Inputs settings:
- Leave the menus and go to the Home screen;
- Navigate to Settings;
- Enter Gestures & Inputs;
- Select Double Tap;
- Select Screen Lock;
- Return to the Home screen;
- Double tap on any empty spot on the Home panel;
- Select Enable;
- Tap the Activate button from the lower right corner of the screen.
And now you can consider yourself a user of the Double Tap on Samsung Galaxy S8 or Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus. You can start testing it right away and see how it goes. If you’re up for something new, you should know that there are plenty of other third-party apps that do the same. So, do not hesitate to find alternatives. Just make sure you’re not overreacting with it, most agree it is something you should use with caution!