The Wi-Fi problems in Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ Plus are a common issue for those of us that own the new smartphone from Samsung. Some of the issues that some owners of the new Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ Plus reported included slow/weak Wi-Fi connection, Wi-Fi switching to data connection automatically or the tendency to forget a Wi-Fi connection on the Galaxy S8 smartphone. Take a look at some of the fixes that you can try to fix your Galaxy S8’s Wi-Fi problems.
The random switching from Wi-Fi to data on Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ Plus
The WLAN to mobile data connection option that is normally activated in the Android settings of the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ Plus is responsible for the manner in which your Galaxy S8 switches from a Wi-Fi connection to mobile data. The activation is known as ‘’Smart network Switch’’ in the settings tab. This was especially designed for the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ Plus so as to automatically switch between Wi-Fi and mobile data networks such as LTE. This was to ensure a stable network connection at any time. The good news for you is that this setting can be adjusted to fix the ‘switch’ problem in your Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8+ Plus.
Ensure your Wi-Fi is turned off on Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ Plus
It is very normal to find your Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8+ Plus still connected to a weak Wi-Fi signal so it is upon you to ensure the WI-FI is disabled or turned off. To navigate to the Wi-Fi settings, follow the following procedure;
- Turn on your Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8+ Plus
- Tap on Menu
- Tap on Settings
- Tap Connections
- Select Wi-Fi
- Toggle the ON/OFF slider next to Wi-Fi to turn your Wi-Fi OFF
Forgetting a saved Wi-Fi network on Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ Plus
To remove a saved Wi-Fi network on your Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8+ Plus, go to Settings menu and look for the Wi-Fi section. Browse the network you wish to delete or forget from your Galaxy S8. Once you have identified the network, long press it until a drop down menu appears. Then select ‘’Forget’’. The other option is normally the ‘’Modify’’ option where you can change the Wi-Fi password saved on your device. To navigate, follow the following guidelines;
- Turn on your Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8+ Plus
- Swipe your screen downwards to open the notifications tab then select ‘Settings.’
- Browse through the Network Connections section then touch on Wi-Fi.
- If your Wi-Fi is OFF, toggle the ON/OFF switch to turn it ON.
- Check the Wi-Fi network you wish to forget then select ‘’Forget’’
- The selected Wi-Fi profile will be forgotten automatically.
Disabling the Smart Network switch of Samsung Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ Plus
- Turn on your Galaxy S8+ Plus or Galaxy S8 smartphone.
- Enable the mobile data connection of your Galaxy S8.
- Then go to Menu> Settings >Wireless.
- You will see the ‘’Smart Network Switch’’ at the start of the page
- Uncheck this option with the router still upright to obtain an unstable wireless connection of your Samsung Galaxy S8
Your Samsung Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8+ Plus will no longer switch automatically between Wi-Fi and mobile internet connection.
Solve the slow Wi-Fi problem on Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ Plus
Another problem is normally associated with the slow Wi-Fi speed on your Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8+ Plus. This is particularly so when you are using apps like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Whatsapp, Snapchat and so on. Many of the icons and pictures will look grey and apps don’t load at all or take ages to load.
What will be frustrating is when the Wi-Fi signal is strong yet your connection is still slow. Never mind though. I’ll help you fix it. Check out some few suggestions on how you can fix the slow Wi-Fi problem on your Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8+ Plus.
- Turn on your phone.
- Hold simultaneously the ‘Power Off’, ‘Volume Up’ and the Home buttons
- Wait for a few seconds, and your Galaxy S8 will vibrate and start in Recovery mode.
- Browse the entry ‘’Wipe Cache’’ partition and start it.
- Wait for a few seconds for the process to be completed then restart your Galaxy S8 with ‘’Reboot System Now’’
Get Technical Advice
For those that have tried everything but can’t still fix the slow Internet connection of their Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8+ Plus, it is advisable that you return the smartphone to the store or a shop where it can be physically checked for any damages. If in case found to be defective, the technician may provide a replacement unit or repair it.