You haven’t thought about it until it happened to you… Feeling embarrassed that you have forgotten the PIN password of the Samsung Galaxy S8 or Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus? It’s more common than you think so, relax…
The worst thing that can happen is to have to complete a hard factory reset. Many troubleshooting tutorials on this topic will start with it, which is why you might think that this is the only solution. If it is, it would mean that your data and files are compromised – you cannot unlock the device to back them up yet you need to do a factory reset, which will erase everything. To ease your worries, that’s just one version of the story!
We have more options to share with you. Some of them might work, others not so much, in which case you will have to return to the hard reset. Some users even prefer this method instead of anything else precisely because they enjoy a clean smartphone and get rid of other potential problems previously experienced, in the process.
Since this is one of the most probable fixes, we will start our guide with it:
The practical steps to factory reset a Samsung Galaxy S8 or Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus:
- First, power off the smartphone;
- Then, simultaneously tap and hold the following three keys:
- Volume Up;
- When you see the Android icon on the display of the device, you can release the buttons as you have entered the Recovery Mode;
- Now you can use the Volume Down key to select Wipe Data / Factory Reset;
- Start the reset by tapping on the Power key;
- Wait for the device to perform this reset and return to the Recovery Mode;
- Use the Volume Down key to select Reboot System Now;
- Confirm with the Power button and wait for it to reboot into the normal running mode;
- Now you can start configuring the device as it will look like taken out of the box – completely empty!
A different method of how to factory reset Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus is presented in here. Read on and see if you prefer this method better or proceed to our next suggestions.
The simple steps to resetting the password with Samsung Find My Mobile…
- Register your smartphone with the Samsung official service;
- Access the Find My Mobile feature and its Remote Controls;
- Temporarily reset the password of your Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8 Plus;
- Use it to bypass the lock screen;
- Replace the temporary password with a permanent password and make sure you won’t forget this one too!
The simple steps to resetting the password with Android Device Manager…
- If you already registered the phone with the Android Device Manager, now is the best time to use its special Lock feature, just so you can take advantage of another feature and reset the forgotten password;
- Go to a computer and launch an internet browser;
- Navigate to the Android Device Manager service;
- Log in with your credentials and identify your device on the next screen;
- Tap on the Lock & Erase feature to enable it;
- Proceed with the prompted steps to create a new, temporary password;
- Use the password to enter your phone;
- Ultimately, create a new password.
Just to recap, you have two different services that you can try using, in the event that you have previously registered with either Samsung or the Android Device Manager. In case you were caught off guard and didn’t have your Samsung Galaxy S8 or Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus registered with any of these services, you can always try the factory reset. Be prepared to lose your information in case you won’t be able to back up anything before this hard reset…