The ‘Always on Display’ feature is one of the coolest features that have become a hot topic among the users of the Samsung Galaxy S8 smartphone.
The general idea of the feature has been previously implemented on other smartphones, but the feature on Samsung Galaxy S8 is a pace-setter on the part of Samsung that will most likely be picked up by other smartphone vendors all across the globe.
Whether we are aware of it or not, we often use our smartphones to check the time and notifications. However, you realize that every time you wish to check a message, a missed call or simply check the time you have to unlock and wake the phone up first.
This is a time consuming process for time conscious people and this is where the idea of “Always ON Display” comes into the picture. It generally allows the user to check times and notifications without having to unlock or wake up your phone.
The “Always on Display” is a very helpful tool and comes in handy in many situations. For instance, at night when you are still very sleepy and wish to know what time it is or perhaps during a meeting where a light glimpse on your screen will let you know of the time without having to fumble with the phone first.
Using the “Always on Display” feature on your Galaxy S8
This very cool feature comes as part of the package when you buy a Galaxy S8 or S8+ Plus smartphone. However, you need to first enable it before you can use it. Follow the below steps if you wish to set up this feature;
- Open on “Settings” by pressing on the Settings app in the app drawer. The shortcut for this is swiping down of the screen to reveal the notification panel then hit the Settings icon.
- Press on “Device” tab then hit on “Display”
- Select “Always on Display” on the display menu
- To enable it, toggle the slider to the right. To disable it, toggle the slider to the left
- Now set up the entire thing in the “Always on Display” menu. Choose from the menu the clock style, the content to show as well as the background image. This is simply how you set up the custom appearance of this feature in your device. On the content to display, choose between clock, image or calendar.
More information on the Always on Display
The “Always on Display” will remain on as long as you keep it enabled. However, there will be times that it will switch itself OFF automatically such as when;
- Your phone is in the pocket
- The level of your battery is less than 5%. In this case, the system automatically turns it OFF to save on your battery.
- You activate night clock.
The idea of you having your screen always ON is an interesting one, but it leads to some assuming that it will drain the battery faster. On the contrary, only a fraction of battery power is used with as little as 1% being used per hour in the standby mode.
All factors considered, the Always on Display remains a very useful and valuable feature for each Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8+ Plus user.