With the Preview Message turned on, Samsung Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S9 will show you snippets of the text messages that you receive, as soon as they enter your inbox. In theory, this is a good idea because it will help you to see who texted you and to anticipate the importance of a message without having to unlock the screen and access the text message. In practice, however, not all users are happy with it.
Letting aside the fact that it isn’t always easy to deal with this Preview Message on Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S9, it is also upsetting that it shows your private messages in such a public manner. Perhaps you’re in a group and you’re getting a very personal message. You wouldn’t want your friends to take a peek and see what message you just received.
Now, if you’ve come this far, most likely you are interested in learning what settings you have to access in order to disable it. The instructions are very simple and they have to do with the settings of your messaging app.
How to turn On or Off Message Preview on Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S9
- Swipe the general Menu with one finger, from the upper side of the Home screen;
- Select the Settings icon, from the right corner of the Menu;
- Browse until you find the Applications tab;
- Tap on it and from there, go to Messages;
- Select Notifications;
- Look for the Preview Message feature;
- Uncheck the boxes where you don’t want the Preview Message to show up – the Lock Screen, the Status Bar, or both of them.
Whether you want the Preview Message to show up in the Status Bar or not, this being a more private area if you have an unlock code for the Lock Screen, it is entirely your decision. Also, whenever you feel that you want to re-enable this feature, you can follow the steps from above once again and check the boxes for the places where you want the Preview Message to show up on your Samsung Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S9.