Here’s the thing about the horizontal and vertical display in Samsung Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9 Plus – you don’t just get to use it for plain navigation, but also for typing. So, if you’ve switched the display from vertical to horizontal and you want to type some text, the keyboard app should work just fine. If it doesn’t, there’s a somewhat limited number of things you can try to fix the Galaxy S9 keyboard issue when typing horizontally on Samsung Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9 Plus:
- Reboot the device;
- Wipe the cache partition;
- Hard reset the device;
- Take the device to an authorized center.
To reboot the device suffices to hit the Volume Down and the Power Keys, simultaneously, for a couple of seconds. When the display turns black and then it starts showing the reboot animation, you can release the keys. Hopefully, when rebooting into the normal mode, the keyboard horizontal on Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9 Plus will work again. But if it doesn’t, here’s what you should know about wiping the cache…
How To Fix Galaxy S9 Keyboard Problems When Typing Horizontally By Wiping The Cache Partition:
- Tap and hold these keys, without releasing them for the next seconds: Volume Up, Home, Power;
- Wait until you feel a phone vibration and then, only release the Power key;
- Wait until the Android System Recovery screen shows up and then you can release the other keys;
- You should now have access to the Wipe Cache Partition command, to which you can navigate with the Volume Down key;
- Once you have selected it, let the wiping process begin with one tap on the Power key;
- Confirm the action with the Yes option;
- Finally, navigate to the Reboot System Now option to leave this mode and return to the normal running mode.
Assuming you still cannot use the keyboard in the horizontal position, the time has come to consider performing a hard reset. You may know or not know how to hard reset your Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9 Plus but if you know and you’re not doing it… The only alternative is to take your phone to an authorized Samsung service.
You either back up all your data and bring the device to its default settings from the factory, or you let the authorized technicians find a solution without you resetting the phone. Don’t think for a second that you can do it without the horizontal typing on Samsung Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9 Plus. The first time you’ll need to use your keyboard on, let’s say, the Facebook Messenger, you’ll get really mad. And rest assured, there are several other apps where, unless you keep the headset on vertical, the box and the text you’re typing won’t be visible.
To avoid frustration and the desire of changing this Android flagship with another device – though, what could you possibly find that is better than this smartphone – don’t give up on the issue. Like we said, these were the two last calls you can take in the attempt of fixing the Samsung Galaxy S9 keyboard issue. And the one with the authorized service should work regardless of anything else. Test for yourself and let us know how it worked for you or ask our help if necessary!