Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus is all about the… edge! Launched on the market in 2017, it has become one of the most attractive models and the TouchWiz interface that it’s been carrying along, coupled with the much-coveted Android OS, continue to make a great pair.
Without a doubt, having this smartphone and not using its Edge screen would be a pity. Let us show you a couple of basic commands that will help you start experiencing with it and, soon enough, you might find it difficult to navigate on your phone without these features.
As a first clue, the Edge handle can be personalized in many different ways. From what shortcuts you add to it to the position, the size, the transparency of the panel, you will never get bored configuring it. Before you get there, however, you need to activate it:
The 4 simple steps to activating the Edge Panel on Galaxy S8 Plus:
- On the Home screen, swipe downwards from the top of the screen;
- Access the general Settings of the device;
- Scroll until you find and select the Edge Screen option;
- Tap on its dedicated control to set the Edge Screen to On and leave the menus.
The 3 customize options you need to use right away:
- Learn how to select the position of the Edge Panel on the display;
- Select your favorite apps and add them to the Edge Panel;
- Learn how to download and install new Edge Panels.
If you want to customize the position of the Panel…
- Look for the translucent Edge handle sitting on one side of the screen;
- Swipe it and access the Panel;
- Tap on the Settings icon, easy to identify on the bottom left;
- Select the Edge Panel Handle Settings in there;
- Drag the handle to your desired vertical position;
- Adjust the side of the screen where you want it to be (right or left), the transparency and the size, by tapping every option individually.
If you want to add particular apps…
- Swipe and access the Apps Edge;
- Hit the Plus button;
- Select the app you wish to add and drag it to one of the grids from the right side of the screen;
- Use the minus button to remove the app that you have accidentally dragged in the wrong place;
- Use the back arrow to leave the Apps Edge panel.
If you want to add new Edge Panels…
First of all, you should know that you have 11 panels available by default. All you have to do is to make up your mind which ones you would like to access straight from the screen – from Apps and Finance to Yahoo News, Sports, Weather, Tasks or People Edges.
Of course, on top of all that, there are also 15 other panels that you can download separately. Not all of them are available for free, but you will notice anyway if you have to pay for some of them. Here is how to download any of those extra options:
- Go back to the Edge Panels settings page;
- Hit the Download button available at the top of that page;
- Identify the panel you want to download from the list;
- Use the down arrow placed right above that panel;
- Tap the Install option;
- You will be prompted to sign in with your Samsung account credentials;
- You can use your account or create one if you didn’t already have it;
- Hit the Accept option and Download the panel;
- Wait a couple of seconds for the panel to be downloaded an automatically added as a new option on your Edge Panels settings page.
Repeat the steps for any other panel that you want to install on your Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus!