Samsung defines its controversial S Voice service, available on the Galaxy Note 8 and Note 9 devices and on many other lines of smartphones, as a virtual mobile assistant. Indeed, the S Voice can tackle a wide range of tasks that users will effortlessly activate through voice commands, saving time and effort. If only activating it wasn’t such a big effort – or trying not to activate it…
If you’re confused, here’s a problem that you might have encountered yourself as well. The S Voice assistant is set to launch, by default, with a double tap on the Home button shortcut of your Samsung Galaxy Note 8 or Note 9. But the same button will also serve you to access Google Now. We’re not even going to enter the debate that argues how the two of them are relatively making the same things.
Our point here is to show that many users don’t appreciate accidentally launching S Voice from the Home button. And they want to know if there’s any way to turn this assistant off. The short answer is yes.
The long answer is that one will actually have two different options when it comes to turning off the S Voice on Samsung Note 9 and Note 8:
- You can turn off the option that allows you to activate the S Voice from the Home button;
- You can turn off the S Voice feature itself.
If you don’t like this rival of Siri for iOS and you don’t find yourself asking the smartphone for weather details, call initiations or searches through its menus, you’re free to try any of the following suggestions.
Option #1 – Disable the S Voice Home button activation
- Turn on your smartphone and launch the S Voice with a double tap on the Home button;
- Within the main window of the S Voice app, tap the three-dot menu icon;
- Go to its Settings;
- Stop at the Wake-Up section;
- Spot the option labeled as “Open via the Home key”;
- Tap on it to uncheck its box and leave the menus and the app.
Option #2 – Completely turn off the S Voice feature:
- Access the Application Manager section of your smartphone’s general settings;
- Navigate to the All tab;
- Browse and find the S Voice entry on that list;
- Select it;
- Select the Turn Off option;
- Tap the OK button to confirm.
That’s it, you’ve now officially and completely disabled the S Voice from Samsung Note 9 and Note 8. The reason why you had to confirm this action is simple – the device was projected so that other apps will work together with S Voice. And when you disable the latter, you risk experiencing malfunctions on those other apps. For now, you can confirm that you’ve understood the risks and still disable it. If you notice any kind of problems, consider turning it back on and simply disabling its activation from the Home button.