What’s the one thing that you keep close by your side, day or night, and take it with you pretty much anywhere? Chances are it’s your Samsung Galaxy Note 8, so, the news that you can turn it into a flashlight whenever you need some light, might please you. Before you try it out and end up disappointed, we’d like to help you set your expectations…
The Torchlight – because this is the name of the widget that will let you use a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 as a flashlight – cannot possibly compare its light with the one of a LED Maglite. Still, it can make a huge difference when you’re in the dark, which is probably why you are looking for this kind of information.
Now, go and ditch your old bulky flashlight and unlock your smartphone. We are going to show you how to turn on the light, with the tools that you already have on the device, without having to install any kind of third-party app. It’s all in there, readily available, waiting for you to learn how to use it. You’ll find an icon, place it on the Home screen, and start turning it On and Off with just one tap. Never mind that it looks like any other app, it’s a widget that activates the flashlight feature.
To use a Galaxy Note 8 as a flashlight:
- Start from the Home Screen;
- Use one finger to long press an empty area;
- When the icons shrink and you see three new options at the bottom of the screen, you’ve accessed the Edit Screen;
- From the Home Screen Settings, Wallpapers, and Widgets – the three new options – select the latter;
- You’ll gain access to a list with all the widgets, the flashlight included;
- Look for the entry labeled as Torch;
- Tap and hold on it;
- Drag and drop it on the Home screen.
That was all, from now on, the flashlight widget will be on the Home Screen. You can start it from here, whenever you need it, or you can use the relatively same steps to try use the flashlight on Samsung Galaxy Note 8 from the launcher. Some widgets might be differently located, but still, it’s the same process.