If you’re passionate about making the most of your Samsung Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8+ Plus, you must know by now that you can make it write after dictation. And you are probably wondering if it can also dictate to you, reading you texts or giving you verbal indications in real time about the menus you are accessing or the notifications you are receiving.
With previous phones, this was called Text-To-Speech and users had to access the Google Play Store and download this dedicated app. Your Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8+ Plus, however, is smarter than that, so it comes already equipped to read text or speak text to you. Dictation to speak is, in fact, a simple and easy process for this revolutionary device.
You were right to picture it reading text out loud, speaking translations, and reading you books or other cool things. And if you’re not a native English speaker, it doesn’t mean you cannot enjoy this feature in your native language.
Sit back and relax, you’re about to find out how to get your Samsung Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8Edge to read the text:
- It all starts from the Home screen, where you access the general Menu;
- From there, move on to the Settings icon at the upper right corner and tap on it;
- Under the System tab, select Language And Input;
- Tap on Speech and look for the Text-to-speech options;
- Choose between Google Text-to-speech engine and Samsung Text-to-speech engine, the only two TTS engines available;
- Next to the search engine, select the Settings icon;
- Tap on Install voice data and Download the pack;
- Wait until language data is transferred;
- Go back to Language.
Now that you prepared your smartphone to speak in your desired language, you still need to activate S Voice. You can do it from the Home screen, by tapping on Apps and selecting S Voice in there.
Under the S Voice settings, select Recent Apps and Set driving mode on. This driving mode can be easily deactivated afterward by going back here and setting it to Off.
While not an option for those visually impaired, the read text feature will give you an interesting perspective of what your Samsung Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8+ Plus can do for you. Speaking everything in real time, it can make a great companion for your daily navigation.