The Lock Screen works as a basic protection shield against unauthorized access. When you set up your unlock code, you probably do not imagine that you will ever find yourself without access. But Samsung Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ Plus users happen to be in the same situation every now and then.
If it happened to you too, we’re not going to ask you why didn’t you write down your password in a safe place, so you will never forget it. Maybe you haven’t forgotten it, maybe the display has become unresponsive. Or there are other factors preventing you from getting through the Lock Screen and accessing your important files and data.
That’s why we’re going to show you three different actionable steps for when you need to reset the password of your smartphone. One of them, that we’re keeping separately, actually involves performing a hard factory reset. This one will delete all your data and if you don’t have a backup in place, you’re not going to like to use it.
Now here are the promised 3 solutions.
Solution #1 – Erase everything with Factory Reset and change password
This factory reset will bring the device to its factory settings. Here you have a factory reset guide for Galaxy S8+ Plus. Make sure you back up all your files before continuing with the steps:
- Turn off the smartphone;
- Get the phone into Recovery Mode;
- Release buttons and use Volume down to go to the Wipe Data/Factory Reset option and select it;
- By pressing the Power button, you activate this option;
- From the context menu that will show up, highlight Yes – delete all user data – again, using the Volume down button;
- By pressing the Power button one more time, you confirm the action and initiate it;
- Wait until the Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8+ Plus has rebooted and select it with the Power button;
- Wait until the smartphone restarts.
Now you should see a clean device, with nothing on it, which you get to personalize from scratch. Bring back your backup and set a new password.
Solution #2 – Use Find My Mobile and bypass the lock screen
This is a temporary solution, better yet, a trick that allows you to skip the authentication from the Lock Screen and access your device temporarily. During that short timeframe when you can use it without remembering the old password, you will be able to insert a new one.
The trick here is that you need to have your Samsung Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8+ Plus registered with Samsung. Do this, as fast as you can and when you will need it, you will be able to use the Find My Mobile feature. It’s similar to Apple’s Find My iPhone and it lets you tackle the Remote Controls feature from your device to jump over the lock screen:
- Register the smartphone with Samsung;
- Access the Find My Mobile service and temporary reset your current password;
- Go through the lock screen with your newly selected temporary password;
- Access the device’s settings to change this temporary password with a new one.
Solution #3 – Use the Android Device Manager to reset password
Yet another solution that requires you to have the Samsung Galaxy S8+ Plus or Galaxy S8 already registered with something – the Android Device Manager. When you access this center to reset your password, you will simply have to activate a feature called Lock. This one feature will then let you reset the password, the first time you realize you have forgotten it:
- Access the Android Device Manager from a computer;
- Locate your Samsung Galaxy S8+ Plus on the screen;
- Tap on the feature Lock & Erase to enable it;
- Follow the steps presented in there to lock the phone;
- Set a temporary password;
- Type in that temporary password;
- Replace it with a new password.
Hopefully, now you know how to access your smartphone when being locked out for various reasons. As you can see, prevention is very important, so you’d better officially register your Samsung Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8+ Plus while you still have access to it.